There’s a huge amount of information about Northern Lights viewing available online today. Several different countries claim to provide the best viewing (and I must admit I’m a bit biased in Canada’s favour), and even after you’ve decided on a country, there’s normally a number of different towns within that country, all vying for your attention and your visit.
Meet the Team
Lois is currently Product Manager. She joined the Great Canadian Travel team in March 2000, starting out as an airfare specialist, then represented Icelandair in Canada, handled Sales & Marketing as well as specializing in Iceland, Greenland, the Faroe Islands, Norway and expedition cruises in the Arctic and Antarctic.
She grew up on a farm near Forrest, MB and moved to Winnipeg to attend university pursuing a phys-ed degree, then obtained a travel diploma from Angus College. Since graduating she worked in the industry as a travel consultant, a reservations agent/fares specialist for Canadian Airlines and in the sales/ticketing office for KLM Royal Dutch Airlines.
Lois married Yianni in 1993 and they have 2 daughters, Lea and Giorgia and a lovely rescue-dog named Peter. They live in Winnipeg and travel frequently to Greece to visit family and friends there. She and her daughters are ardent Winnipeg Jets fans and cheer on the Toronto Blue Jays, Winnipeg Goldeyes, Winnipeg Blue Bombers, Canada’s men’s and women’s volleyball teams and Canadian tennis players. Recently, during Euro 2016, Lois became a big fan of the Icelandic soccer team – Afram Island!
Lois’ TOP 5 travel experiences
- Climbing Ayers Rock (now called Uluru) at dawn, and looking out over the ancient lands of the Aboriginals of central Australia. Much to the disappointment of one of the people on our group, there was no Coke machine at the top.
- Sailing into the fjords of Torngat National Park in northern Labrador. I had no idea there was anywhere like that in Canada – stunning!
- Visiting the monasteries of Meteora in central Greece, the cliff-side villages of Santorini, the ancient sites of Knossos in Crete, Mycenae and Olympia in the Peloponnese, skiing on Mt. Parnassos in the morning and having lunch in the afternoon beside the sea. Greece is amazing.
- Hiking the Samaria Gorge in Crete and the Milford Track in New Zealand – completely different, but both incredible experiences.
- Backpacking through Europe for almost a year; from Greece in the south to the northern tip of Scotland, Bergen Norway to the beaches of the Algarve in Portugal. A better education than any classroom could ever give!
“In the short term, it would make me happy to go play outside. In the long term, it would make me happier to do well at school and become successful. But, in the VERY long term, I know which will make better memories”.
– Bill Watterson, Calvin and Hobbes: It’s a Magical World
Go and play outside whenever you can! Life is too short to regret what you could have, would have, should have done!
Friday, March 17, 2017
Where are the best places on earth to see the Northern Lights?
Tuesday, February 14, 2017
January 2017 Issue 1 – Ring in the New Year http://eepurl.com/cw1XCL
February 2017 Issue 2 – Happy 150th Canada – We Love You! http://eepurl.com/cB5rwr
February 2017 Issue 2.5 – International Polar Bear Day http://us3.campaign-archive1.com/?u=c6b82b85d7cc87c975963e1e7&id=0f5e4c8476
March 2017 Issue 3 – We Love Canada Even More! http://us3.campaign-archive1.com/?u=c6b82b85d7cc87c975963e1e7&id=21d2c4158a
April 2017 Issue 4 – April Showers Bring May Flowers and a Bouquet of Travel Ideas!
Monday, February 6, 2017
Top 10 Tips for Keeping Valuables Safe When Travelling
When you travel do you take lots of jewellery and other valuables with you? How do you keep your valuables safe when you’re travelling? Every hotel tells you to not leave valuables in plain sight in your room and to use the room safe. But what if the safe isn’t safe? You can always use the hotel’s safe, which is usually secured inside an office behind the front desk. Ensure you get a receipt for the items you deposited. Most hotels are liable for items that go missing from their safe, but not for items in a room safe.
Here are 10 of our top ideas for keeping valuables safe when travelling. Read More >