For over thirty years we have been offering tours to head north and watch the polar bears. Now, we want to introduce a new series of tours; our “Bear Country Adventures”, offering those short on time or looking for an economical alternative to our conventional tours, a chance to head north and visit our wonderful and world famous Polar Bear population.
Arrive in Winnipeg and check in to your centrally located hotel. We recommend arrival time prior to 16:00pm today. This evening you will enjoy a welcome dinner and after hours tour of the world famous Manitoba Museum with your group, and GCTC tour director. This is the perfect introduction to Canada’s north. The museum will take you on a journey from the history of Winnipeg, to the history of Churchill and it’s journey from being pre-cambrian rock to the Accessible Arctic that it is today. (D)
Your northern adventure begins upon departure this afternoon on your northbound flight to Churchill. Located on the shores of Hudson Bay, this iconic town is known as the Polar Bear Capital of the World. Upon arrival in Churchill you will be transferred to your accommodation. After layering up, this afternoon we will go dog-sledding with one of Churchill’s best dog-mushers. After some hot chocolate and bannock, we will return to town where you will enjoy an evening presentation of the “Seasons of Churchill” from a professional photographer after our welcome dinner hosted by your tour guide. (B, D)
A polar safari! Every autumn, these extraordinary animals prowl along the coast of the Hudson Bay, anxiously waiting for the sea ice to form. Once the bay freezes over, the bears move out onto the ice and spend the winter hunting seals. From the security of the giant Tundra Vehicle, you will venture onto the vast tundra on a quest for the sightings of these magnificent creatures in their natural environment. We will return to our hotel at dusk, from where we will head out for a group dinner. (B, L, D)
A day surrounding the hustle and bustle of Churchill – today we will enjoy a Town & Area tour. Exploring not only the town, but the Parks Canada site, Miss Piggy, the Ithica, and even the famous Polar Bear Jail, today you will get a bigger understanding of the way Churchill works. Should you wish, you may reserve a seat on a one hour helicopter tour over Cape Churchill today! The flight is $535 per person plus taxes, based on a minimum of three. Early evening we will meet for our farewell dinner together. After your farewell dinner we will transfer to the airport for an early evening flight to Winnipeg. You will arrive in Winnipeg around 21:00 pm, please ask us about booking accommodation for tonight. If you wish to fly out of Churchill this morning, please contact us for details and availability – a change fee of $75 per person applies for any air deviations. (B, D)
The order of tours may be re-arranged for scheduling purposes. Departures on October 22, November 1 and November 7 have their tundra day on Day 3 of the itinerary. Changes to the itinerary will not be allowed for southbound departure.
Why not spend another couple of nights before or after your polar bear tour in Winnipeg, and learn more of the culture, history and art of the north at the city’s fabulous museum and art gallery? Contact your travel specialist for more information.
- Round trip airfare between Winnipeg and Churchill or one-way airfare/one-way train
- One nights’ accommodation in Winnipeg (Hotel Fort Garry or similar)
- Breakfast daily
- One lunch
- Three dinners
- After hours tour of the Manitoba Museum
- Group airport transfers in Winnipeg and Churchill
- Presentation of “The Seasons of Churchill”
- Dog-sledding excursion
- Town & Area tour of Churchill
- Full day Tundra Vehicle tour (guided)
- Services of a tour manager/tour guide throughout
- Services of our destination team in Churchill
- Gift from GCTC
- Pre-departure package and information
- Travel Insurance
- Items of a personal nature
- Tours and transfers not indicated
- Airfare to/from Winnipeg
Ask us about add-ons to this experience!
- Helicopter sightseeing tour over Cape Churchill ($535 per person plus taxes)
- Clothing rental in Churchill (from $50/day)
- Additional tundra touring (from $475, if available)
- Additional Winnipeg nights (from $140/night)
- Change your flights to/from Churchill ($75 per person change fee)
- Additional Churchill nights (if available, from $220/night)