Antarctic Explorer – Discovering the 7th Continent
Journey to one of the world’s most pristine, exotic natural environments, the Antarctic. Landing on the Antarctic Peninsula, the last continent’s most northern region and exploring the iconic sights makes this journey unforgettable!
- Discover Ushuaia, the spectacular port city in southern Argentina
- Cross the infamous Drake Passage
- Penguin rookeries, humpback and Minke whales, southern seal species including the cunning leopard seal
- Hike up to the Orne Harbour chinstrap penguin colony high up on a ridge
- Take a Polar Plunge swim, if you dare
February: 11, 19
December: 02, 10
February 19 – Ocean Endeavour
Triple – US$5,795
Twin Window – US$9,695
Single Inside – US$9,195
Twin Porthole – US$9,195
Twin Porthole Plus – US$10,695
Upper Deck Twin – US$11,395
Superior Twin – US$11,895
Top Deck Twin – US$12,095
Twin Window Plus – US$12,495
Junior Suite – US$12,795
Owner’s Suite – US$13,395
December 02, 10 – Ocean Endeavour
Triple – US$5,895
Twin Porthole Upper/Lower – US$8,895
Twin Window – US$9,395
Upper Deck Twin or Double – US$9,795
Twin Porthole Suite – US$10,195
Single Inside – US$10,795
Superior Twin or Double – US$10,595
Top Deck Double – US$10,995
Twin Window Suite – US$11,495
Junior Suite – US$11,995
Owner’s Suite – US$12,495
Arrive to Ushuaia anytime today and spend the balance of the day and overnight in this stunning, small city. With a population of more than 63,000 people, Ushuaia is the southernmost city in the world. The city of Ushuaia has grown over the past few years, yet it has retained an easy going and accessible feel. With the sea to the south and mountains to the north, Ushuaia is a spectacular departure point for your Antarctic cruise. Today, you can spend time hiking nearby, enjoy Argentine wines and barbecues in the city, or visit the many boutiques and cafes.
Do some more exploring in Ushuaia or the surrounding area before you leave for your expedition to Antarctica. Embarkation will occur in the late afternoon, after which your vessel will sail through the historic Beagle Channel. This famous channel transects the Tierra del Fuego archipelago in the extreme south of South America. Expect an air of anticipation as you depart—the next time you’ll see land, you’ll be in the world’s most southern continent!
Prepare yourself for potentially rough water, but hope for a smooth sailing as the Drake is unpredictable and always changing. You’ll spend these first days getting to know your shipmates, while we’ll provide safety briefings and insights into what excitement lies ahead.
When the Antarctic Convergence is left in our wake, you will truly begin your Antarctic adventure. It is perhaps the first sight of land itself that is embraced as the true beginning of any Antarctic expedition. You can begin to appreciate why this region has long captivated the attention of explorers and travelers alike. Every time we visit Antarctica we witness something new or unexpected, meaning your expedition will be unlike any other—creating a unique, personal experience. We will take Zodiac excursions from the ship to explore bays, channels and landing sites each day. With wildlife always at the forefront of our minds you will visit penguin rookeries, scout for humpback and Minke whales and search for a number of the southern seal species, including the cunning leopard seal.
The majesty of the Peninsula’s mountains will enchant you as you scramble up snowy pathways to vantage points offering you 360° views of your surroundings. One of these in particular, in Orne Harbour, gives the opportunity to visit a chinstrap penguin colony high up on a ridge. Here you’ll have the choice between going for a mountain hike or spending time sitting quietly on a pebbled beach to enjoy the antics of curious penguins. If you’re feeling extra adventurous, participating in the Polar Plunge swim is about as crazy as it gets! Amidst the serene silence of Antarctica, noisy interludes now become indelible memories, such as penguins squabbling over prized pebbles, or the boom and crack of a calving glacier in Neko Harbour.
Every day will be different, having been carefully crafted by your Expedition Team so as to entertain and educate you about this wonderful part of the world.
The journey back across the Drake Passage provides you with some final opportunities to enjoy the crisp Antarctic air. Spend time on the deck watching for seabirds and scouting for whales, enjoy a few final presentations by your Expedition Team or simply relax and reminisce about your experiences.
Your cruise program ends on arrival back to Ushuaia this morning. You may choose to stay here for a night or two, tour the nearby parks, fly onward to Buenos Aires, or extend your time in this stunning part of the world and take a cruise through the fjords or southern Argentina, around the cape to Punta Arenas, Chile. The choice is yours. We can book any of these options and more for you to complete your travel program.
- Shipboard accommodation with daily housekeeping.
- All breakfasts, lunches and dinners on board throughout your voyage. (Please inform us of any dietary requirements as far in advance as possible. Unfortunately, the ships’ galleys cannot prepare kosher meals.)
- All shore landings per the daily program.
- Leadership throughout the voyage by our experienced Expedition leader, including shore landings and other activities.
- All Zodiac transfers and cruising per the daily program.
- Formal and informal presentations by our Expedition Team and guest speakers as scheduled.
- Photographic Journal on DVD, documenting the voyage.
- A pair of waterproof expedition boots on loan for shore landings.
- An official Quark Expeditions parka to keep.
- Coffee, tea and cocoa available around the clock.
- Hair dryer and bathrobes in every cabin.
- Comprehensive pre-departure materials, including a map and an informative Antarctic Reader.
- A group transfer upon disembarkation in Ushuaia from the ship to the local airport.
- All miscellaneous service taxes and port charges throughout the program.
- All luggage handling aboard ship.
- Emergency Evacuation insurance for all passengers to a maximum benefit of USD $100,000 per person.
- Airfares, unless otherwise specified in the itinerary
- Passport and visa expenses
- Government arrival and departure taxes
- Baggage, cancellation and medical travel insurance
- Excess baggage charges
- Laundry, bar, beverage and other personal charges unless specified
- Telecommunications charges
- Voluntary gratuity at the end of the voyage for shipboard staff and crew
- Massage services
Important reminder: Embracing the unexpected is part of the legacy – and excitement – of expedition travel. There are no guarantees that we can achieve everything we set out to accomplish. A measure of flexibility is something all of us must bring to a voyage. There are nearly 200 recognized sites in the Antarctic Peninsula and South Shetlands and the places mentioned above may be changed to others equally as interesting.
Duration Options: The Antarctic Explorer: Discovering the 7th Continent program is also available as a 10 day/9 night from Buenos Aires, an 11 day/9 night from Ushuaia or Buenos Aires or a 12 day/11 night from Ushuaia or Buenos Aires. On the cruises from Buenos Aires you will spend one less day exploring the South Shetland Islands and Antarctic Peninsula.
The cruise programs from Buenos Aires include overnight accommodation in Buenos Aires on Day 1, a group flight from Buenos Aires to Ushuaia on Day 2 and a group flight from Ushuaia to Buenos Aires on the last day. Day 1 will be your day of arrival to Buenos Aires, any time that day. This is a splendid city, known for its soaring architecture and rich European history. Transfer independently to the group hotel where you will spend the night. On the morning of Day 2, after breakfast, the group will transfer from the hotel to the Buenos Aires airport and fly to Ushuaia as a group and then back to Buenos Aires on a group flight on the final day. This is a great option if you don’t want any extra time in Ushuaia before or after your cruise.
Adventure Options: Add an extra rush of adrenaline to your expedition by choosing from a wide range of optional adventure activities to experience the 7th Continent in a more personal way. Some of the available options are Camping, Cross-Country Skiing, Kayaking, Mountaineering and Stand-Up Paddleboarding. Ask us for details and prices for the available options on your cruise date.
Pre and Post-Trip Options: Getting to the Antarctic can be just as much fun as being there. There are multiple travel options you can add to your cruising adventure. Some suggestions are Introduction to Buenos Aires; Santiago Head Start; Easter Island – World’s Most Remote Inhabited Island and Experience Igazu Falls. Programs may be combined if schedules allow.
Disclaimer: We do our utmost to ensure that information posted on our website is correct at the time of publication, however trip details are subject to change without notice by the suppliers and operators involved. We update the information as soon as possible when changes are advised to us, however, we cannot assume responsibility for such changes made by the suppliers and operators.