The Aurora Escape
As an Aurora viewing destination, the Yellowknife area in the Northwest Territories boasts the highest percentage of Aurora sightings. And getting to a rustic lodge like Blachford Lake Lodge, well away from city lights, increases your chances even further.
- High-percentage chance of Aurora Borealis (Northern Lights)
- Experience a cozy, wilderness lodge without giving up creature comforts
- Snowmobile, snowshoe and hike in the pristine wilderness
- Try your luck at ice-fishing
- Explore Yellowknife and learn about its frontier history
Tuesdays and Thursdays, January to mid-October
From CA$2,005 – twin
From CA$2,875 – single
Moderate Hotel/Lodge accommodation
From CA$2,769– twin
From CA$3,529 – single
Moderate Hotel, Yellowknife: Days Inn or similar. Upgraded accommodation can be requested at the Explorer Inn or similar for a supplement.
Blachford Lake Lodge: choice of cabin or lodge accommodation
Tax: 4% on Yellowknife accommodation / 5% GST on total program
Prices are “starting from” rates, shown in CA$, per person based on two people sharing a twin room or cabin, one person in a single room.
We feature our basic 5 day/4 night program staying two nights in Yellowknife and two nights at Blachford Lake Lodge. If you have more time we highly recommend one of our longer packages (see Trip Notes).
Fly north to Yellowknife and transfer to your hotel for an overnight stay. This vibrant city, located on the shores of Great Slave Lake, boasts endless stunning arctic landscapes. Explore the Old Town, featuring panoramic views from Bush Pilot’s Monument, as well as a variety of unique shops and cafes. There are several tours that we can book for you to enjoy this afternoon (time permitting) such as a city tour, snowmobiling or a glass workshop. Just ask and we’ll be happy to provide you with details and pricing for the activities you wish to add. This evening you will go out into the countryside for an evening aurora tour.
The Aurora Ovals are located in the atmosphere in the areas surrounding the Earth’s magnetic poles. Yellowknife is situated in an advantageous position under the Northern Aurora Oval based on magnetic latitude. is far from the ocean with a flat geographical landscape and a high percentage of clear skies. These factors, combined with latitudinal position, equals a high probability of Aurora Borealis sightings.
Fly to Blachford Lake Lodge, a twenty-minute charter flight from Yellowknife. Located on a remote jewel of a lake set in Precambrian rock, this spacious, handcrafted log lodge offers a blend of rustic charm and modern comfort. Gourmet meals are prepared by talented chefs, and the cozy Aurora lounge offers a retreat in the evenings. Enjoy a variety of activities depending on your interests. Embark on guided excursions throughout the Canadian taiga, head out on a snowshoe or hiking trail, and discover the awe-inspiring Northern Lights.
We’ve taken the amazing northern lights package based at the remote Blachford Lake Lodge and added time in Yellowknife to complete your aurora experience!
Blachford Lake Lodge provides you with the chance to enjoy a pristine environment with comfortable facilities, wonderful food and various activities. You’ll have an exclusive, front row seat for nature’s own light show after dark. Relax and explore the lodge that Their Royal Highnesses Prince William and Kate Middleton visited during their trip to Canada’s North. In late summer, the Aurora often fills the night sky, reflecting off the shimmering waters of Blachford Lake. On crisp winter nights, the Aurora, the moon and the stars light your way on snow covered paths. The northern lights have been in existence since the earth formed an atmosphere, and shine most intensely in this region. Discover the magic of the north!
Return to Yellowknife late this afternoon for another overnight stay. You will have the early evening on your own to explore Yellowknife.
Ask us about booking a city tour! We recommend taking in the amazing culture in this wonderful northern city. Browse the shops, and get a bite of fresh caught fish at Bullocks Bistro. You will be picked up from your hotel where you will have an evening aurora viewing tour. You will have the opportunity to in the warmer months take a boat across the lake and in the winter months snowmobile, to a rustic cabin where you will enjoy traditional northern snacks and hospitality.
Depart anytime today from Yellowknife. Or, you may choose to extend your stay by a day or two and book on some of the great, optional activities available.
Winter tour options:
- Northern lights viewing by boat or quad or snowmobile (fall, winter & spring)
You can use your evenings to get out of the city and search out the northern lights. Tour options are varied, but one of our favourites involves riding a snowmobile or quad (depending on the season) out to a remote cabin in a nearby region of the boreal forest. Upon arrival you’ll spend the evening with a cosy fire, hot chocolate, and homemade snacks while nature’s greatest light show plays overhead. Of course, as with all things in Nature, an appearance of the Aurora Borealis is never guaranteed, but you will have two more evenings to watch for them to make a visit.
Other winter activities can include dog-sledding, snowmobiling, ice-fishing, and cross country skiing. Seeing the aurora over a wintery landscape of soft snow and frost-laden trees is particularly magical, especially when you arrived with the soft swish of runners and gentle padding of canine paws that accompany travel by dogsled.
Summer tour options include, but are not limited to:
- Wildlife viewing, including wood bison
- Historical city tour
- Glassworks Workshop – create your own souvenir of your stay in Yellowknife
- Great Slave Lake tours and fishing
- Kayaking and canoe trips on Great Slave Lake
- Birding and photography trips
- Nahanni National Park and Virginia Falls tour
Some spring and fall tours overlap the summer season while others fall into the winter season. We can provide you with a list of options available for the time you are going to be visiting Yellowknife.
Please note, many tours require a minimum of 2 or 4 participants. For single travellers especially, some tours may not be available unless a private tour is booked and the additional cost paid. This would guarantee your touring options. For parties of 2-3 people we may have to substitute some tours for others that will operate with less than 4 participants.
Taste of Touring (2 hours)
Whiteman Loop (10km ride)
Whiteman Trail and Historic Cadieux Cabin Cookout, lunch included (3 hours)
Ice Pressure Ridges on Great Slave Lake (approx. 3 hours)
Watta Lake – Grace Lake Tent Frams (37km)
Ice and Exploration – The Ultimate Great Slave Circular Tour, with meals (full day)
Overnight Snowmobile Tour – Winter Camping (1 night)
Traditional Dene Net Fishing (2 hours)
All optional activity prices will be quoted in CA$, per person and are subject to a 10% gratuity and 5% GST. It is recommended to book the optional activities at the same time as your accommodation to ensure you can take part.
Winter Gear Rental:
Full gear package and delivery of gear to your hotel
- Two nights of moderate accommodation in Yellowknife at the Days Inn, standard room
- Yellowknife airport shuttle upon arrival and departure
- One guided, aurora viewing tour out of Yellowknife (approximately 3 hours)
- Round trip scenic bush-plane flight from Yellowknife to Blachford
- Two nights all-inclusive accommodation at Blachford Lake Lodge in cabin or lodge, as chosen
- Gourmet meals and snacks while at lodge
- Two hour interpretive experience daily (snowshoeing, cross-country skiing, fat-tire biking or ice skating/hockey) – Guided
- Handicraft workshop
- Use of most lodge equipment for snowshowing, cross country skiing, hiking, igloo building, quinzhee building, wildlife tracking, ice fishing, fat tire biking, skating and hockey
- Use of lodge facilities – Aurora lounge, fireplaces, library, hot tub, sauna, tipi, Aurora viewing decks
- All-night aurora watch service
- Aurora photography tips and hints
- High-speed, wireless internet (up to 200MB/day per guest – additional use at extra cost)
- Mandatory 10% gratuities at lodge
- Airfare to/from Yellowknife from your home city
- Meals other than indicated
- Alcoholic beverages at Blachford Lake Lodge
- Additional rentals and guide services
- Optional tours
- Winter clothing rental (see Tour Notes for pricing)
- Travel insurance
- Items of a personal nature
- 5% GST on all packages and optional add-ons
Longer Packages, January to mid-October 2020:
6 day/5 night – Saturdays
7 day/6 night – Tuesdays
8 day/7 night – Saturdays, Thursdays
10 day/9 night – Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays
Disclaimer: We do our utmost to ensure that information posted on our website is correct at the time of publication, however trip details are subject to change without notice by the suppliers and operators involved. We update the information as soon as possible when changes are advised to us, however, we cannot assume responsibility for such changes made by the suppliers and operators.