Overland Expedition – Silk Road and South East Asia
This epic 134 day overland adventure will be life-altering as it takes you on a journey of discovery from Istanbul, Turkey all the way to Bangkok, Thailand passing through the fascinating interior of the Asian continent.
- Valley and underground cities of Cappadocia
- Mud volcanoes of Gobustan
- Wild camp near the "Door to Hell" Karvaza Crater
- Colourful, natural phenomenon of the Rainbow Mountains
- Bingling Si's vast Buddha statue and cave sculptures
- Visit the giant Panda breeding centre in Chengdu
- Incredible temples at Angkor Wat and Angkor Thom
- Search for freshwater dolphins in the Mekong River
Call for dates and pricing
We strongly recommend you fly into Istanbul a day or two before today, to give yourself time to recover from jet lag and perhaps do a couple of local tours.
There will be an important pre-departure meeting at 10:00am today. Your tour leader will carefully check all of your documents and visas to ensure you have all the necessary paperwork for travel beyond Tbilisi, Georgia. The afternoon will be free to explore the many sights of the incredible exotic city of Istanbul, including the Grand Bazaar, the Bosphorus River, Hagia Sophia and the phenomenal Blue Mosque! In Istanbul we will stay in a comfortable hotel
Do not bring any medicines containing tramadol, codeine, temazepam, morphine or opiates to Central Asia. These are illegal in all circumstances in most of Central Asia and you will risk arrest. If in doubt about a particular medicine, please do not bring it.
This trip requires a fairly high level of fitness and may include multi-day treks at high altitude, walking for 5-8 hours per day. It is imperative that you discuss your plans to take part in this trip with your doctor, to ensure you don’t have any medical conditions that could affect your participation.
You will traverse many countries by a variety of transportation methods such as overland expedition vehicle, Jeep, private bus, public bus, tuk-tuk, boat, ferry and overnight boat. Countries visited include the starting point of Turkey, Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan, China, Laos, Cambodia and finally ending in Thailand.
Please ask us for a full trip dossier which will provide lots of details about the countries and places visited as well as practical information about preparing for the journey, passport and visa requirements, medical information and more.
Today is the end day of this epic, life-changing adventure. You may decide to add on a day or two in Thailand to explore this beautiful country before flying out of Bangkok. Several touring options are available for extensions.
Portions of this full 134-day expedition may be undertaken as individual overland adventures. For example, Turkish & Georgia Explorer 16 day / Georgia, Armenia & Azerbaijan 16 days / The Silk Road & South China 21 days / Chinese Silk Route 22 days / Warriors, Gorges & Holy Mountains in China and Laos 29 days and many more interesting options. Talk to us about when you want to travel and what you want to see and we’ll match you up with just the right programming, including customizing your itinerary to add in accommodation and optional touring.
- Expedition crew including a driver and guide throughout the journey
- Transportation as outlined in detailed itinerary, provided at time of request
- Local tour guides in addition to expedition crew in select countries
- Accommodation throughout tour including a variety of camping, hostels, homestays, lodges and hotels
- Pre-departure document package
- International airfare
- Mandatory kitty, payable locally in US$ to the tour crew - covers hotel accommodation and camp fees, meals while camping, activity fees
- Meals not specified
- Optional touring
- Travel insurance
- Passport and visa fees, vaccinations as required
- Items of a personal nature
Disclaimer: We do our utmost to ensure that information posted on our website is correct at the time of publication, however trip details are subject to change without notice by the suppliers and operators involved. We update the information as soon as possible when changes are advised to us, however, we cannot assume responsibility for such changes made by the suppliers and operators.