Sailing the Edge of the Arctic Circle
008269 - W20
- Learn how to sail a traditional tall ship. Catch your meal and barbecue onboard. Sail around the majestic bird cliffs of Grímsey.
- Enjoy world-class whale watching, sail around the majestic bird cliffs of Grimsey Island and cross the Arctic Circle there
- Visit the deserted island of Flatey and explore Viking settlements and abandoned farms
- Witness the summer solstice at the Arctic Circle.
- Swim in the Arctic Sea
Sailing Ship – Opal
From US$2,265 – adult
Prices are “starting from” rates, shown in US$, per person based on two people sharing a twin cabin. Single pricing is available upon request. Children under 7 are not accepted on this particular program. Please ask us for other options if you have a child under 7 in your travel party.
008269 - W20
Sailing on the adventurous Opal is an experience that leaves no one untouched. Bringing together the best of both worlds; Opal has an authentic charm and feel while driven by an award-winning hybrid-electric engine. Under full sails or running by the hybrid-electric motor, we minimize disturbance to nature and wildlife, enhancing the experience of passengers.
Set sails from Husavik harbour to explore the remote Islands and majestic coastline at the Edge of the Arctic. Our experienced crew will guide you along to discover the hidden treasures and historical settlements of the north. All meals onboard cooked by our very own arctic chef – inspired by local traditions and ingredients.
The journey will be full of exploration and unforgettable experiences.
At 8.00 in the early morning, we will board the schooner Opal in Húsavík harbour. Meet and greet with the crew and fellow passengers. Safety instructions, a light refreshment from the chef before we head out to sea.
Sail by Puffin Island. Visit Tungulending, a unique guesthouse in a renovated fishermen’s shelter at Tjornes Peninsula where we will have lunch. Cross Skjálfandi Bay over to the Víknafjöll mountains while on the lookout for whales. Sail towards Flatey Island where we will do an evening hike, have dinner and spend the night at anchor.
Early rise for a nice breakfast onboard and prepare for sailing. There will be a landing in a deserted bay in . We’ll sail towards Grímsey Island, try our luck with fishing and enjoy lunch onboard the schooner. Arrive in Grímsey in the late afternoon. Dock at the pier and visit the local village and hike around this fascinating Island. Dinner onboard surrounded by beautiful scenery in the midnight sun.
Relaxed morning with breakfast on deck. We’ll head out on a zodiac tour around the majestic bird cliffs of Grímsey Island. After a delicious lunch onboard we say goodbye to Grimsey Island and set sail for Húsavík, arriving in the evening.
Note that all activities are dependent on weather and sea conditions, especially Zodiac landings which may have to be moved to an alternative location or cancelled if conditions do not allow a safe access/transfer. Whale watching on the way is also not guaranteed, but chances are pretty high of seeing whales at this time of year. The captain and crew will always have the final decision to change or alter the estimated itinerary.
- Accommodation in bunk beds onboard, bedding, blankets and towels
- Shared washroom facilities
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner daily onboard
- Services of crew, hiking excursions and arrangements as noted in the itinerary
- Zodiac tours as listed
- Transportation to/from Husavik
- Transfers and accommodation in Iceland pre/post cruise
- Meals other than onboard ship and breakfast at hotels
- Alcoholic beverages
- Optional tours and meals
- Passport and visa fees, vaccinations if applicable
- Excess baggage charges, laundry charges
- Items of personal nature
- Travel Insurance
Disclaimer: We do our utmost to ensure that information posted on our website is correct at the time of publication, however trip details are subject to change without notice by the suppliers and operators involved. We update the information as soon as possible when changes are advised to us, however, we cannot assume responsibility for such changes made by the suppliers and operators.