Ultimate Arctic Summer Adventure 2020
Summer 2020 is the perfect time to visit Churchill. With fewer people travelling it will be less crowded in the town but there will still be up to 60,000 Beluga Whales filling the Hudson Bay and Churchill River, as well as polar bears leaving the pack ice. Experience the beauty of this part of Manitoba with opportunities to see polar bears, beluga whales, seals and a variety of Arctic animals and migrating bird species.
- Hudson Bay Coastal Boat tour in anticipation of viewing Polar Bears in their summer environment
- Jet boat tour of the Churchill River Estuary to see countless Beluga whales
- Hundreds of nesting and migrating birds
- Summer Tundra Tour in our Arctic Crawlers™
- Churchill Cultural and Heritage tour
August: 06, 13
From CA$3,500 – twin
From CA$4,000 – single
Taxes: Churchill accommodation tax / PST 7% / 5% GST as applicable
Prices are “starting from” rates, shown in CA$, per person based on two people sharing a twin room or one person in a single room.
Arrive into Churchill on your flight or VIA train from Winnipeg. You’ll be transferred from the airport or train station to the cozy and comfortable Lazy Bear Lodge for your six-night stay. It will be your home base for the activity tours over the next few days. A hearty breakfast is included daily at the lodge, beginning on Day 2.
Over the course of the next four days experienced local guides will take you to beautiful wild places that offer the very best opportunities to see Polar Bears, Beluga Whales, Arctic Sik Siks, over 200 nesting or migrating bird species, seals, Arctic Hare, Arctic Fox, and more.
Our guides will take you in the Sam Hearne–a coast guard certified custom-built boat–on an adventure to experience one of the more remote Polar Bear viewing areas on the west side of Hudson Bay. You will have the opportunity to view polar bears in their summer environment, swimming and walking around the rocks and wildflowers. Weather and wildlife permitting, you will disembark the boat and walk with polar bears.
Along the same shoreline, hundreds of Beluga Whales come to feed, mate and give birth in the warm, shallow near-coastal waters. Our Beluga Whale Boat/Fort Tour will focus on viewing the beautiful beluga whales in their natural habitat in the Churchill River and into the Hudson Bay area as they feed on schools of caplin, arctic char and brook trout. We will also go ashore for a walking tour of the historic Prince of Wales Fort. Aqua Gliding and kayaking with the whales are available as optional extras.
Next, you may hop on a bonus summer Tundra Tour in our Arctic Crawlers™ to view the beautiful landscape. This tour will be on the same vehicles we use for our fall Tundra Tour. Later that evening after a delectable supper, depending on weather and cloud coverage, it may be possible to see the Northern Lights.
The Cultural and Heritage Tour takes you to Churchill and the surrounding area where you will be exploring various historic sites. These include Cape Merry, an outside tour of the polar bear holding facility, the wreckage of the famous plane, “Miss Piggy”, and many other historic sites that make Churchill the town it is today. You may walk around and take pictures or stay on the bus if you prefer.
Please note, the order of the touring components is subject to weather conditions and may be changed without advance notice.
Today you will be transferred to the Churchill airport or VIA Station where the tour portion of this program ends. Fly or take the train southbound to Winnipeg by your own arrangements.
- AquaGliding: Glide above the water for a truly unique, ultimate water adventure and be approached by some of the thousands of friendly and curious Beluga Whales in their natural habitat. from CA$225 plus taxes per person
- Kayaking: See the Beluga Whales up close and personal on a memorable kayak adventure on the Churchill River. June-September, from CA$175 plus taxes per person
- Helicopter Tours: please inquire for tour durations and prices for the dates you are visiting Churchill
- Transfers between Churchill airport or VIA Station and lodge, round-trip
- All transfers for tours in Churchill
- Five nights at Lazy Bear Lodge in Churchill
- Meals Included: Breakfast after each nights stay; lunch on the Hudson Bay Coastal Tour; One Dinner at the Lazy Bear Café on any night of your choice
- Cultural and Heritage (town and area) Tour including Cape Merry and exterior of the Polar Bear Jail (2-3 hours)
- Hudson Bay Coastal Boat Tour to see Polar Bears and arctic wildlife (6-8 hours)
- Beluga Whale Boat Tour/Fort Tour to see Beluga whales and walking tour of Fort Prince of Wales (approx. 3 hours)
- Summer Tundra Tour on Arctic Crawlers™ (approx. 3 hours)
- Naturalist Tour Guide
- Winnipeg accommodation pre and post tour
- Airfare Winnipeg-Churchill return
- Taxes on airfare
- Meals other than indicated
- Tours or transfers other than indicated
- Optional Aqua Gliding, kayaking and helicopter tours
- Gratuities to guides
- Items of a personal nature
- Travel insurance
- Fuel surcharge (if applicable)
Disclaimer: We do our utmost to ensure that information posted on our website is correct at the time of publication, however trip details are subject to change without notice by the suppliers and operators involved. We update the information as soon as possible when changes are advised to us, however, we cannot assume responsibility for such changes made by the suppliers and operators.