The Aurora Escape
As an Aurora viewing destination, the Yellowknife area in the Northwest Territories boasts the highest percentage of Aurora sightings. And getting to a rustic lodge like Blachford Lake Lodge, well away from city lights, increases your chances even further.
You don’t have to take our word for it though. Check out one of the testimonials from our Great Canadian Adventurers!
- High-percentage chance of Aurora Borealis (Northern Lights)
- Experience a cozy, wilderness lodge without giving up creature comforts
- Snowmobile, snowshoe and hike in the pristine wilderness
- Try your luck at ice-fishing
- Explore Yellowknife and learn about its frontier history
Tuesdays and Thursdays
01 January – 11 October, 2019
Moderate/Cabin accommodation (Days Inn, Yellowknife or similar/cabin at Blachford Lake)
CA$1,955 – twin
CA$2,335 – single
Moderate/Lodge accommodation (Days Inn, Yellowknife or similar/lodge room at Blachford Lake)
CA$2,715 – twin
CA$3,289 – single
Tax: 5% GST
Prices are shown in CA$, per person based on two people sharing a twin room or one person in a single room.
We can also offer accommodation in Yellowknife at the Explorer Inn – please inquire for pricing.
Fly north to Yellowknife and transfer to your hotel for an overnight stay. This vibrant city, located on the shores of Great Slave Lake, boasts endless stunning arctic landscapes. Explore the Old Town, featuring panoramic views from Bush Pilot’s Monument, as well as a variety of unique shops and cafes. There are several tours that we can book for you to enjoy this afternoon (time permitting) such as a city tour, snowmobiling or a glass workshop. Just ask and we’ll be happy to provide you with details and pricing for the activities you wish to add. This evening you will go out into the countryside for an evening aurora tour.
The Aurora Ovals are located in the atmosphere in the areas surrounding the Earth’s magnetic poles. Yellowknife is situated in an advantageous position under the Northern Aurora Oval based on magnetic latitude. is far from the ocean with a flat geographical landscape and a high percentage of clear skies. These factors, combined with latitudinal position, equals a high probability of Aurora Borealis sightings.
Fly to Blachford Lake Lodge, a twenty-minute charter flight from Yellowknife. Located on a remote jewel of a lake set in Precambrian rock, this spacious, handcrafted log lodge offers a blend of rustic charm and modern comfort. Gourmet meals are prepared by talented chefs, and the cozy Aurora lounge offers a retreat in the evenings. Enjoy a variety of activities depending on your interests. Embark on guided excursions throughout the Canadian taiga, head out on a snowshoe or hiking trail, and discover the awe-inspiring Northern Lights.
We’ve taken the amazing northern lights package based at the remote Blachford Lake Lodge and added time in Yellowknife to complete your aurora experience!
Blachford Lake Lodge provides you with the chance to enjoy a pristine environment with comfortable facilities, wonderful food and various activities. You’ll have an exclusive, front row seat for nature’s own light show after dark. Relax and explore the lodge that Their Royal Highnesses Prince William and Kate Middleton visited during their trip to Canada’s North. In late summer, the Aurora often fills the night sky, reflecting off the shimmering waters of Blachford Lake. On crisp winter nights, the Aurora, the moon and the stars light your way on snow covered paths. The northern lights have been in existence since the earth formed an atmosphere, and shine most intensely in this region. Discover the magic of the north!
Return to Yellowknife late this afternoon for another overnight stay. You will have the early evening on your own to explore Yellowknife.
Ask us about booking a city tour! We recommend taking in the amazing culture in this wonderful northern city. Browse the shops, and get a bite of fresh caught fish at Bullocks Bistro. You will be picked up from your hotel where you will have an evening aurora viewing tour. You will have the opportunity to in the warmer months take a boat across the lake and in the winter months snowmobile, to a rustic cabin where you will enjoy traditional northern snacks and hospitality.
Depart anytime today from Yellowknife.
- Two nights of moderate accommodation in Yellowknife at the Days Inn, standard room
- Yellowknife airport shuttle upon arrival and departure
- One guided, aurora viewing tour out of Yellowknife (approximately 3 hours)
- Round trip scenic bush-plane flight from Yellowknife to Blachford
- Two nights all-inclusive accommodation at Blachford Lake Lodge in cabin or lodge, as chosen
- Gourmet meals and snacks while at lodge
- Two hour interpretive experience daily (snowshoeing, cross-country skiing, fat-tire biking or ice skating/hockey) – Guided
- Handicraft workshop
- Use of most lodge equipment for snowshowing, cross country skiing, hiking, igloo building, quinzhee building, wildlife tracking, ice fishing, fat tire biking, skating and hockey
- Use of lodge facilities – Aurora lounge, fireplaces, library, hot tub, sauna, tipi, Aurora viewing decks
- All-night aurora watch service
- Aurora photography tips and hints
- High-speed, wireless internet (up to 200MB/day per guest – additional use at extra cost)
- Mandatory 10% gratuities at lodge
- Airfare to/from Yellowknife from your home city
- Meals other than indicated
- Alcoholic beverages at Blachford Lake Lodge
- Additional rentals and guide services
- Optional tours
- Winter clothing rental (see Tour Notes for pricing)
- Travel insurance
- Items of a personal nature
- 5% GST on all packages and optional add-ons
Alternate Package Durations/Dates:
6 day/5 night – Saturdays
7 day/6 night – Tuesdays
8 day/7 night – Saturdays, Thursdays
10 day/9 night – Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays
Taste of Touring (2 hours) – CA$112
Whiteman Loop (10km ride) – CA$160
Whiteman Trail and Historic Cadieux Cabin Cookout, lunch included (3 hours) – CA$220
Ice Pressure Ridges on Great Slave Lake (approx. 3 hours) – CA$232
Watta Lake – Grace Lake Tent Frams (37km) – CA$320
Ice and Exploration – The Ultimate Great Slave Circular Tour, with meals (full day) – CA$400
Overnight Snowmobile Tour – Winter Camping (1 night) – CA$600
Traditional Dene Net Fishing (2 hours) – CA$220
All optional activity prices are shown in CA$, per person and are subject to a 10% gratuity and 5% GST. It is recommended to book the optional activities at the same time as your accommodation to ensure you can take part.
Winter Gear Rental:
Full gear package – CA$121 per person
Hotel delivery – CA$22 per person per direction
Disclaimer: We do our utmost to ensure that information posted on our website is correct at the time of publication, however trip details are subject to change without notice by the suppliers and operators involved. We update the information as soon as possible when changes are advised to us, however, we cannot assume responsibility for such changes made by the suppliers and operators.