Pond Inlet Floe Edge Basecamp
009101 - R15
The floe edge is the magical border between the sea ice and open ocean. It is an area where arctic mammals and birds congregate. Take in this amazing arctic experience from a comfortable, well-equipped base camp.
- Pond Inlet (pop. 1550 in 2011) is a true northern community, about as far-flung from the world we know as it is possible to go
- Travel by snowmobile and “Qamutik” (wooden sled) towards the floe edge in Arctic Bay
- Comfortable base camp will serve as a hub for the expeditions and activities
- Experienced and knowledgeable local guides
- Chance of seeing polar bears, a variety of species of sea birds, narwhal, seals, and (possibly) the massive bowhead whale
May: 18, 27
June: 05, 14
CA$7,750 per person
Price is shown in CA$, per person, based on shared tent accommodation and twin room in Pond Inlet.
009101 - R15
Pond Inlet (pop. 1550 in 2011) is a true northern community, about as far-flung from the world we know as it is possible to go. The hamlet overlooking Eclipse Sound, with a backdrop of the northern mountains of Baffin Island, receives around three months of perpetual sunlight in summer and a corresponding three months of night lit only by the moon, stars and aurora in winter.
From the community of Pond Inlet, we will travel by snowmobile and “Qamutik” (wooden sled) towards the floe edge in Arctic Bay- an area known as the “line of life”. Guided by highly-qualified guides, including local Inuit guides, ice conditions and weather will determine our exact route. Once a suitable area has been chosen, a comfortable base camp will be created. The base camp will serve as a hub for the expedition and the various activities that will be undertaken.
Your safety will be the number one priority as we explore, film, and photograph one of nature’s most amazing and variable landscapes. No other company in the world has the same experience in organizing and running this type of adventure than Black Feather. The experience and knowledge of the local guides is also unmatched. Combined with top-quality customer service and attention to detail, this is truly one of the classic Arctic adventures.
Full advantage will be taken of the endless days to explore and learn more about this incredible environment. This year we have added optional ski and kayak tours. These activities will depend on the conditions. During this expedition, we have a chance of seeing polar bears, a variety of species of sea birds, narwhal, seals, and (possibly) the massive bowhead whale.
The floe edge of North Baffin Island is a “must-see” place for wilderness photographers, birders, and wildlife observers. This base camp expedition is perfect for any outdoor enthusiast seeking a one-of-a-kind adventure in a most unique landscape!
This “Floe Edge Ski and Sea Kayak Basecamp” experience, operated by Black Feather, has been designated a “Canadian Signature Experience” by Destination Canada.
- Airport transfers in Pond Inlet
- 2 nights of accommodation in Pond Inlet
- Guides at a ratio of 5:1
- Dinner on Day 1 and 8 and breakfast on Day 2 and 9 in Pond Inlet
- Snow machine transfers between Pond Inlet and base camp location on Days 2 and 8
- 6 nights of camping at base camp in free-standing, custom expedition dome tents, 2 per tent
- Sleeping bags and sleeping pads
- Base camp common-use kitchen, bathroom, cooking stoves, dishes and utensils, generator
- Trail meals and snacks from Day 2 lunch to Day 8 lunch
- Kayaking and ski equipment
- First aid, safety, kayak rescue and repair kits
- Satellite phone
- Daily tours by snow machine on Days 3 to 7, with optional ski and kayak tours
- Airfare to/from Pond Inlet
- Travel Insurance
- Meals not specified
- Items of a personal nature
Disclaimer: We do our utmost to ensure that information posted on our website is correct at the time of publication, however trip details are subject to change without notice by the suppliers and operators involved. We update the information as soon as possible when changes are advised to us, however, we cannot assume responsibility for such changes made by the suppliers and operators.