Birds, Bears and Belugas
004523 - W20
Birds, Bears, and Belugas – enough said! This is the best bear viewing opportunity in the summertime. Get up close and personal to the iconic kings of the Arctic at this heritage lodge, recently named to the prestigious National Geographic’s Unique Lodges of the World list.
- Seal River Eco-Lodge, a recent addition to the National Geographic Unique Lodges of the World
- Exceptional northern wildlife viewing of belugas, caribou, birdlife and polar bears along with ecological interpretation
- Authentic dog-sledding option along with other daily activity tours
- Unrivalled photo opportunities in the heart of polar bear country
- Delicious gourmet meals prepared on-site at the lodge
July: 11, 16, 21, 26, 31
August: 05, 10
CA$12,295 per person
CA$22,795 single room rate
CA$11,095 children’s rate (ages 8-12)
004523 - W20
Check into The Grand Hotel, Winnipeg Airport. At 7:00 pm there is a group dinner at the hotel where you will meet your tour leader and other participants in your tour.
This extraordinary tour to Seal River Eco-Lodge, a recent addition to the National Geographic Unique Lodges of the World, will take you into the northern wilderness for exceptional wildlife viewing, ecological interpretation, fascinating day excursions and delectable food. Enjoy an overnight stay in Churchill, authentic dog-sledding options and unrivalled photo opportunities in the heart of polar bear country.
Meals: (B) = Breakfast / (L) = Lunch / (D) = Dinner
This morning you fly (very early!) to Churchill. On arrival you will be met by a staff member and provided with instructions regarding your morning transfer. Your adventure begins with a breathtaking aerial view of the winding Hudson Bay coast en route to your home for the next six days, Seal River Heritage Lodge. Be prepared to see huge pods of beluga whales, countless birds, caribou, and of course, the majestic polar bears. The Seal River Estuary is a summer favourite for these goliaths and they are regularly seen swimming or basking in the sun near the water’s edge. On arrival to the lodge you’ll receive a tour of the lodge and time to settle into your room before a full orientation of life in Polar Bear Country. After a full-course lunch you will experience the Hudson Bay coast for the first time. The combination of diversity and sheer natural elegance will amaze you. Make sure your camera battery is charges as you’ll be eager to document each and every moment in this extraordinary and rare ecosystem. You first day at the lodge will be rounded out by the first of many gourmet dinners this evening, followed by time by a cozy fireplace for the evening, to wind down. Relax, recharge and rest for the five amazing days you have ahead!
Each day breakfast will be served at 8:00am with the daily activity tour departing from the lodge around 9:30am. The choice of activity tour will be dependant on the weather and tidal conditions. Some of the options you may be offered are:
- Marine Tours – Tides and weather permitting, we will do at least two expeditions by boat to view beluga whales, seals, seabirds, and polar bears. Marine tours are conducted in large, nine-man inflatable boats, fully equipped with two way radios, safety gear, flotation jackets for each passenger, and a hydrophone so that that you can listen to the whale songs. Each expedition is a half day in order to coordinate with the high tides. Both refreshments and lunch will be served aboard. Expect to see hundreds of whales per outing! Beluga whales are very curious and social and will investigate our presence with a bold courage expressed by few other creatures. Getting up-close and personal with these awesome creatures has been life-changing for many Churchill Wild guests.
- Trekking/Walking Tours – These are a daily part of the program and they range from short jaunts to photograph a passing caribou perhaps, to day trips with a packed lunch. There is no better way to experience the sheer vastness of the Arctic’s flora and fauna. Nesting bird life, fox dens, wild flowers, and caribou are just a few of the sights you may take in. When polar bears are sighted, your guide will advise you about the best way to maintain a safe viewing distance.
- Coast by Tundra Tracker – See the Hudson Bay coast on our custom made Tundra Tracker. A day trip in one of these vehicles allows us to cover a lot of shoreline while searching out wildlife. Lunch is a picnic en route. We provide ample time for exploration and photography of the trail.
- Wildlife Photography – Your guides have many years of experience in the field both as photographers themselves and through working with professional photographers. They can assist you in many aspects of wildlife photography, including both the composition and the execution of that memorable shot of a lifetime.
- Aurora Watching – Yes, you can enjoy the greatest light show on earth during the summer, especially in the latter part of our season. The northern skies are a perfect ballroom for the aurora borealis, but remember, the northern lights are best photographed with a tripod. If you have one, bring it along.
- Bird Watching – 150 species of birds visit this area and our expert guides can help you locate and identify a wide variety of these – chances are you will add several “lifers” to your book.
- Photo Presentations and Lectures – From lectures on “Travelling in Bear Country” to “Wildlife of the Arctic,” our own northern adventurers will regale you with photos and stories. These conversations provide you with the opportunity to learn about the Arctic wildlife, the landscape, and its people.
- Rest and Relaxation – Should you decide that curling up by the fireplace with a good book or enjoying a hot drink and sharing stories with your fellow adventurers is what you need, feel free to do that too!
Your time at this gorgeous facility will be bound by the rhythm of your surroundings, the interests of you and your fellow guests will guide the choice of activities, and above all you will come to feel a part of this remarkable lodge. Each evening, life revolves around the fireplace as you will come together with your hosts and the naturalist experts and talk about your day’s activities and the rich natural life of the area. It will be a most memorable experience and one that will stay with you for your lifetime.
Following breakfast on this last day, you return by air to Churchill. Have your camera ready for the flight, as it gives you great opportunities for excellent aerial shots. Your luggage will be stored for the day giving you time to explore the town of Churchill on your own, browse the shops, pay a visit to the Eskimo Museum and the Parks Canada exhibit. Take an escorted tour of Churchill with visits to Cape Merry, the Port of Churchill and the Polar Bear Holding Compound, known as “Polar Bear Jail” or a Tundra Buggy tour out on to the tundra. After dinner in town you will be transferred to the Churchill airport for the flight back south to Winnipeg. Check in at The Grand Hotel, Winnipeg Airport for an overnight stay.
(B, L, D)
Your tour concludes after a restful sleep.
- Two nights of accommodation Winnipeg (The Grand Hotel, Winnipeg Airport or similar)
- Five nights of accommodation at Seal River Heritage Lodge
- Airfare Winnipeg to Churchill return
- Charter flight from Churchill to Seal River Lodge, return
- All required transfers
- Meals as indicated in itinerary (B,L,D)
- Tours as indicated at lodge
- Tours or transfers other than indicated
- Meals other than indicated
- Items of a personal nature
- Taxes and fees
- Fuel surcharge (if applicable)
Disclaimer: We do our utmost to ensure that information posted on our website is correct at the time of publication, however trip details are subject to change without notice by the suppliers and operators involved. We update the information as soon as possible when changes are advised to us, however, we cannot assume responsibility for such changes made by the suppliers and operators.