Iceland on a Budget
200016 - W20
This self-drive is perfect for the more budget-conscious traveller who wishes to see as much of Iceland as possible as economically as possible. Based on the circular route around the island using an economy size car and budget accommodation including breakfast, with shared facilities. Also available with upgraded accommodation.
- Travel around Iceland on the ring road staying at budget accommodation
- Visit Goðafoss and Dettifoss waterfalls and Skaftafell National Park
- Marvel at the muti-tiered Gullfoss (Golden Falls) and the geothermal area of Geysir
- Walk in the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Þingvellir National Park, the site of the ancient Viking parliament
- Witness the splitting of two continents, where the North American plate and Eurasian plates are pulling apart
200016 - W20
Following your arrival at Keflavik Iceland, transfer by bus into Reykjavik and overnight at a guesthouse.
Pick up your car this morning and travel north around Snaefellsnes peninsula and the westward tip of Iceland.
Worried about finding your way around? Don’t be! We’ll give you the best possible driving directions, written by Icelanders (translated into English, of course!), in addition to a GPS in the rental vehicle. We also recommend you purchase an Icelandic SIM card to put in your phone, giving you a local phone number and data while travelling through the countryside.
Today you will drive east to Akureyri or to Storutjarni for a two night stay. Either location provides an ideal base from which to explore the many attractions in this part of the country.
Visit the city of Akureyri with its fjord scenery; head out to Godafoss, “waterfall of the Gods”; to Husavik, a primary centre for whale-watching cruises, or to Lake Myvatn with its natural wonders and hot springs.
Drive east to Dettifoss, the most powerful waterfall in Europe and continue to the picturesque East Fjords where you will overnight.
Turn south and west towards Hofn. In this area you will have time to explore incredible waterfalls and Skaftafell National Park. Tonight’s accommodation is in near Hofn, Vik or Skogar.
Head inland for today to the “golden circle” territory for two nights.
Spend today exploring the wonders of this area; hot springs of Geysir. Gullfoss waterfall and Thingvellir National Park.
Your final day in Iceland, visit Reykjavik in the morning for some shopping or visit the famous Blue Lagoon. Drive to Keflavik Airport in the early afternoon, return your rental vehicle and check-in for your flight home to North America.
- One-way airport transfer Keflavik to Reykjavik
- 7 nights countryside accommodation in category chosen
- 1 night Reykjavik accommodation in category chosen
- Breakfast daily at accommodation except day 1
- 8 day Category A economy vehicle rental, manual transmission, unlimited mileage, basic insurances and taxes, two registered drivers, GPS
- Airfare to/from Iceland
- Upgrades to car rental, extra insurances purchased on the rental vehicle
- Optional tours
- Travel Insurance
- Items of a personal nature
Our Iceland on a Bigger Budget is also available, offering upgraded accommodation to either moderate or superior properties. Larger vehicles, 4WD and automatic transmissions are also available. Let us custom design your self-drive to make it perfectly personalized.
Disclaimer: We do our utmost to ensure that information posted on our website is correct at the time of publication, however trip details are subject to change without notice by the suppliers and operators involved. We update the information as soon as possible when changes are advised to us, however, we cannot assume responsibility for such changes made by the suppliers and operators.