Narwhal and Polar Bear Safari
009732 - R16
Experience the classic spring floe edge, with the chance of viewing polar bears, narwhal and icebergs under the Midnight Sun. At the northern reaches of Baffin Island the sea ice meets the open water and marine mammals and other wildlife congregate at what is known as the “line of life”.
- Excellent opportunity for viewing and photographing Arctic wildlife including polar bear, seal and perhaps even the elusive narwhal
- Lose your stress in the vast, tranquil expanses of the Arctic wilderness
- Journey to the floe edge by snowmobile and traditional qamutik
- Possible visit to the Bylot Island Migratory Bird Sanctuary, home to more than 200,000 birds (weather permitting)
- Learn about Inuit culture from your local, Inuit guides
Select dates in May and June
CA$19,540 – twin or single willing to share (limited), Safari tent
Prices are “starting from” rates, shown in CA$, per person based on two people sharing a safari tent or one person “willing to share” a safari tent with another solo traveller or the same gender. Willing to share spaces are very limited and may not be an option on all tour dates. Single occupancy rates are available on request.
009732 - R16
Our Narwhal and Polar Bear Safari is the perfect adventure for first-time visitors to the Arctic as well as seasoned Arctic travellers. It is suitable for adults and families, and amateur or professional naturalists and photographers. This Arctic tour offers an and a variety of bird species, as well as spectacular landscapes.
The vast expanses, seemingly-endless skies, and tranquillity of the Arctic, and our small group program, allows for a serene and unhurried experience of the Arctic. Relax with the freedom to linger and watch or photograph the magnificent Arctic scenes around you or simply discover the beauty and wonder of the Arctic’s floe edge.
Upon landing in Iqaluit, you will be required to leave the secure gated area of the airport terminal to reach the gate where you will continue your travel to Pond Inlet. After arriving in Pond Inlet, you will be welcomed by your Expedition Leader and transferred to Parks Canada for an orientation. Then meet your Inuit guides and travel to our Arctic Safari Camp by qamutik (a traditional Inuit wooden sled with suspension or foam padded seats pulled behind a snowmobile), where you will experience the exhilaration of gliding across the ice. The journey’s time will vary depending on ice conditions but will include tea and coffee stops. Our Arctic Safari Camp will be set up a few kilometres back from the floe edge.
*NOTE: Please prepare and hold onto a day pack with warm clothes for travelling to the Arctic Safari Camp – your luggage will be inaccessible until arriving at the Camp.
During the next few days, excursions will include trips out to the floe edge to look for wildlife. Enjoy the mild spring weather and engage in a variety of activities at the floe edge. Snorkel and kayak amongst sea ice when conditions permit.
One of the greatest highlights for many guests on this safari is the opportunity to observe a variety of Arctic wildlife in their natural habitat. Migratory birds are also in abundance and with the stillness of the Arctic, you are able to hear the songs of the birds before you even see them. Ice conditions permitting, you may also visit the Bylot Island Migratory Bird Sanctuary, where more than 200,000 birds choose to nest each year. For birders, the earlier departures are best for this activity.
Please note, you may encounter Inuit hunters on this safari.
After breakfast, depart camp by qamutik and snowmobile to Pond Inlet. Fly from Pond Inlet to Iqaluit and spend your final night at the Frobisher Inn. Enjoy dinner, followed by a special Inuit cultural show.
After breakfast, there will be an optional town tour or time to explore Iqaluit on your own. Then depart for Ottawa with the spirit of the Arctic, and a full photo album of memories and friendships.
- Round-trip flights between Ottawa and Iquluit
- Round-trip flights between Iqaluit and Pond Inlet
- Transfers between Pond Inlet and Arctic Camp, Floe Edge, return
- 6 nights at Arctic Camp, Floe Edge
- 1 night of hotel accommodation in Iqaluit
- 7 breakfasts, 6 lunches and snacks, 7 dinners
- Services of an expedition leader and local Inuit guides
- Use of kayaks and drysuit, mask, fins, hood and gloves for snorkelling
- Guided, interpretive hikes
- Accommodation in Ottawa pre/post tour
- Additional costs incurred due to weather delays and/or layovers in Pond Inlet, Iqaluit or Ottawa
- Polar Clothing Rental Package (strongly recommended)
- Items of a personal nature
- Alcoholic beverages
- Travel Insurance
Details are subject to change without notice by the suppliers and operators involved. We update the information as soon as possible when changes are advised to us, however, we cannot assume responsibility for such changes made by the suppliers and operators.