Pangnirtung and Auyuittuq Getaway Hike
009101 - R15
Auyuittuq National Park in Canada’s eastern Arctic has some of the most beautiful alpine scenery on earth. This backpacking expedition explores the Akshayuk Pass, the Weasel River Valley to the Arctic Circle and Owl River Valley to North Pangnirtung Fiord.
- Visit the Arctic community of Pangirtung on Baffin Island
- Boat trip up the Pangnirtung Fiord
- Category 2 hike in Auyuittuq National Park, approx. 97km total
- Cross Akshayuk Pass and ascend Weasel River Valley to the Arctic Circle
- Explore the community of Qikiqtarjuaq, Broughton Island
Taxes: 5% GST
National Park back country multi-day user fee: CA$150
Prices are shown in CA$, per person based on two people sharing a tent.
009101 - R15
Fly north from Ottawa, departing on the morning flight from Ottawa, transferring in Iqaluit and on to Pangnirtung, arriving around 3:30pm. The airfare from Ottawa is not included in the tour cost and the lowest available fare will be quoted to you at the time of your inquiry.
Your local guide will greet you at the airport on arrival and transport you to your hotel in town. Group talk and gear check. Balance of evening spent relaxing and getting to know your travelling companions or exploring the town. Overnight Auyuittuq Lodge.
After breakfast you will check out of the lodge and have a group registration and orientation with National Park staff. Then, meet your Inuit guide for the motorboat trip from Pang to the trail head at the end of Pangnirtung Fiord in Auyuittuq National Park (about 1-1.5 hours). Departure time is dependent on the tides. On arrival there is a short hike to the area where you will set up camp.
Our hiking trail takes us from Overlord to Windy Lake and return via Weasel River Valley. We hike over the Akshayuk Pass (formerly Pangnirtung Pass), ascending the Weasel River Valley to the Arctic Circle, summit elevation 500 metres/1,640 feet. We descent the Owl River Valley to North Pangnirtung Fiord. Total distance hiked, 97 km.
This afternoon we are picked up from North Pangnirtung Fiod and transferred by boat to Pangnirtung, where after a nice shower and clean up, enjoy supper at the hotel and share some memories with your travelling companions.
Depart “Pang” late morning, flying via Iqaluit to Ottawa, arriving late afternoon.
- Airport transfers in Pangnirtung, Days 1 & 9
- Two nights of accommodation in Pangnirtung
- Breakfast daily
- Transportation of guides, group gear and food to and from the expedition
- Motorboat transfer between Pangnirtung and Overlord, day 2
- 7 nights camping trip with accommodation in free-standing, custom expedition dome tents (2 per tent)
- Guide during hike, ratio 1 guide/5 hikers
- Trail meals and snacks, Day 2 lunch to Day 11 lunch
- Dinner with local Inuit family sampling “country foods” in Pang, Day 9
- First aid, safety, rescue and repair kits
- Communication equipment (satellite phone)
- Airfare from Ottawa to Pangnirtung and return
- 5% GST on total trip fee
- National Park back country, multi-day, overnight camping user fee
- Personal clothing and gear – recommended packing list will be provided
- Additional hotel nights or meals, other than those listed
- Items of a personal nature
- Additional expenses incurred as a result of delays beyond the control of the tour operator, such as snow and ice conditions, weather, flight delays, etc.
- Any costs associated with your emergency evacuation from the trip
- Travel insurance, including emergency evacuation coverage
Other trips available in Auyuittuq National Park include a Classic Hike of 14 days or a Traverse Hike of 15 days. Please inquire for availability of dates and pricing on the longer trips.
Disclaimer: We do our utmost to ensure that information posted on our website is correct at the time of publication, however trip details are subject to change without notice by the suppliers and operators involved. We update the information as soon as possible when changes are advised to us, however, we cannot assume responsibility for such changes made by the suppliers and operators.