Attending the Spirit of the Arctic Tourism Summit in Nunavut’s capital of Iqaluit helped expand my knowledge on travelling to the North.
I have been lucky enough to visit 3 of the Arctic communities, including Pond Inlet, Cambridge Bay and Naujaat (which is located on the Arctic Circle).
Some of the highlights during our visit included:
- Meeting with the local outfitters from several communities to learn more about touring available.
- Trying some of the local cuisine, such as caribou stew and Arctic char. *I recommend a visit to the Black Heart Café for a Turmeric Latte!
- Attending the annual spring Toonik Tyme Festival to enjoy Skijoring, a winter sport in which a person on skis is pulled by a dog (or sometimes a dog is pulled by the skier).
- Purchasing a carving from one of the local artists, and enjoying an amazing throat singing performance.
- And taking part in Traditional Inuit Games, trying exercises such as the airplane and the kneel jump.
Realizing my love for the North, the culture and vastness of the land, I am always excited to return. Contact me so I can help you build the perfect Arctic itinerary for your adventure.